The Department of Science and Humanities, SNS College of Technology offers Science and Humanities Courses as prescribed by the curriculum of Autonomous in the 1st year of engineering programme and comprise four discipline English, Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry. The objective of the department is to provide value-based education to budding scientists and engineers so that they can become professionals on the forte of Sciences. Moreover, the Department is committed to serve the needs of various branches of engineering by fostering an effective teaching and learning environment.
The entire programme with a theoretical-practical thrust provides the students with a holistic understanding of socio-economic reality and the role of technology for sustainable development. It is a pedestal prop for budding Engineers. The inbuilt talent of the students are tapped, encouraged and made to rise in soaring heights. The faculty members are closely associated with first year students for counseling, admission work, curricular, co & extracurricular activities. The science Expo “SHARP” & “SCIENTIA” is organized every year with the view of providing interactive, participatory, hands-on, innovative and creative learning experiences to our students.
“Department is always keen to offer students an academic experience of “thinking, learning and doing.”
TRAITS OF S&H DEPARTMENT
- Highly Qualified and experienced faculty.
- Industrial visit to expose students to gain hands on exposure towards workplace.
- Publication in National & International Journals by Faculty and Students.
- The students of AGRI has won Second place in PHANTOMIME at TNAU.
- Laboratories equipped with high configuration computers and licensed software.
- Several Awards and Prizes won by our students in competitions held at various colleges.
- N.Sriraam Shanjiev, I Mech & Automation has won Ist Prize in Paper Presentation at UIT college, Coimbatore.
- N.Saravana Kumar, I Mechanical has won 2nd Place in VIIIth Centies Championship 2017 held at CIT, Coimbatore.
- J. Gokul Krishnan, I Civil has won 9th place in National Level Weight lifting Competition at Jammu & Kashmir.
- The Department organizes SHARP (Science expo) and SCIENTIA (National Symposium) every year.
- The Department has 7 Ph.D. holders and 7 faculty members are pursuing Ph.D.
- The Department has received an amount of Rs. 2,84,000/- from the Funding Agencies.
SILEX is a focused network of collective intelligence combined with immense talents and persistent framework of knowledge implementation. Science and Society are combined together under one roof. Science is displayed and thereby Society is served with the applications of science. All the exhibits showcases in the mega event prove the timely need of innovations and their impact in the society we live. This yearly magazine is an attempt to bring out the skills of students and faculty members of our college.
S&H department strive to provide the opportunity to appreciate the value of science and recognize excellence in education to build their career in engineering to lead life of social cohesion and harmony adopting high values.
- To help students move forward with a collaborative initiative to achieve all round excellence.
- To promote knowledge in a rewarding and inspiring research environment.
- To develop leadership qualities relevant to the 21 st century and beyond.
The Department of Mathematics was established in the year 2002.The department inculcates the importance of Applied Mathematics in the Engineering curriculum. The department gives the students a spark in creating mathematical models that are typically used in Engineering and industry. The department has dedicated and highly qualified Professors, Associate Professors and Assistant Professors.The department has eminent faculty members with doctorates and the members who are pursuing their Ph.D programmes in various fields of Mathematics. The area of specialization of the faculty members includes Fluid Dynamics, Differential Equations, Topology, Digital Topology, Graph Theory, and Queuing Theory. The faculty members of the department actively involves in Research and Academic areas. The department also handles the essential mathematical subjects for ME/M.Tech and MCA programmes. The department gives the strong foundation on SCILAB software for all the students to solve mathematical concepts from the first year itself.
The Department of Physics was established in the year 2002. The department instills and promotes practical aspects of Applied Physics in engineering to build a solid foundation as part of the Engineering Education. Further, it prepares students for core engineering branches by educating them in the basic and applied physics in the first year. The faculty members of physics are well experienced, very active in teaching and research. The faculty members have published many research papers in national and international journals. The Faculty members have also filed four Patents out of which two have been granted. The areas of research are Nanomaterials, Thin films, Photovoltaics, Batteries and Crystal Growth, Molecular Quantum Mechanics.
The Department of Chemistry was established in the year 2002. It is well equipped with professionally designed scientific laboratory to offer practical courses to all B.E, and B.Tech programmes. The faculty members are well experienced and have published research papers in both national and international journals and possess extensive knowledge in all fields of Chemistry. Three of our faculty members are Ph.D. holders and four faculty members are pursuing their Ph.D. programmes. A strong and active research effort allows the faculty to keep abreast of the latest scientific advances and to impart new ideas and concepts to the students. The major research areas of interest in the department includes Electrochemistry, Natural products, Environmental Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Coordination Chemistry and Nanochemistry.
Since inception of the college, in the year 2002, the Department of English has been efficiently functional. The Department stands focused to its Ideals in imparting knowledge and preparing the students towards achieving academic excellence through the acquisition of core competence in language skills in relation to its application & relevance for engineering professionals, and also in giving students practice for developing the four basic skills: Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. Further it facilitates the students to hone their soft skills and exhibit their linguistic abilities to meet the expectations of the industries. They have been given exposure to group discussions, oral presentation and mock interviews. The department has dynamic and energetic faculty members to help the students in mentoring and providing necessary inputs. The students is provided with necessary knowledge in BEC, TOEFL, GRE and relevant examinations for higher studies and better knowledge in acquiring English language.
A Well equipped Physics laboratory with latest equipment’s in an area of 199 Sq.m.
- Travelling microscope
- Diode laser and fiber optic kit
- Ultrasonic Interferometer
- Lee’s disc Apparatus
- Torsional pendulum
- Band gap of semiconductor material
- Muffle furnace
- Magnetic stirrer with hot plate
- Ultrasonic cleaner
- Auto Clave
The laboratory is equipped with required instruments to conduct chemistry experiments for various engineering courses.
Name of the Equipment’s
- Digital pH meter
- Digital potentiometer
- Hot plate with thermostat
- Digital spectrophotometer
- Hot air oven
- Digital Conductivity meter
- Electronic Balance
- Digital Flame Photometer
- Mechanical Shaker
- Soxhlet Extraction apparatus
COMMUNICATIONS SKILLS LABORATORY
The new English Language Lab can be used for teaching/learning through teacher’s Console and Language Learning Software. It acts as a platform for learning, practicing and producing language skills through interactive lessons and communicative mode of teaching. Learners can act and respond in a variety of ways at their own pace. The students maintain linguistic competence- through accuracy in grammar, Pronunciation & Vocabulary. Language Learning Software gives learners access to resources for independent or supplemental learning and study. This unique learning-on-demand feature creates additional learning opportunities and reinforces classroom activity. It is possible to conduct & practice tests and get results in individualized manner.
Supporting PM Initiatives Mapped with AICTE
Redesigning Common Mind And Business Towards Excellence
- Technical symposium “SHARP” is conducted every year with external participants.
- Department of Chemistry conducted a National Conference on “Recent Trends and Advances in Greener Synthesis” on 25th January, 2018. The event was graced by the presence of Chief Guest, Dr.RaghuramChetty, Associate Professor/Dept of Chemical Engineering, IIT Madras, Chennai.
- Department of Chemistry conducted a second National one day Conference on “Recent Trends and Advances in Greener Synthesis” on 25th January, 2019. The event was graced by the presence of Chief Guest, Dr.M.J.N.Chandarasekar,Professor, JSS College of Pharmacy, Ooty.
- Department of Chemistry conducted a third National one day Conference on “Recent Trends and Advances in Greener Synthesis” on 7th Feb, 2020. The event was graced by the presence of Chief Guests, Dr. K. Parameswari Associate .Professor, Department of Chemistry, School of science and Humanities, Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences, Coimbatore was the Chief Guest of the day. Dr. Srinivasan Arthanari Senior Researcher in the School of Mechanical Engineering and Automation, Hefei Innovation Research Institute of Beihang University, Beijing and Dr. V.Ragavendran, Assistant Professor of Physics, Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi Viswa Mahavidyalaya Enathur, Kanchipuram.
- Department of Physics conducted a National Conference on National Conference on Nanomaterials for Energy and Medical application-2019 on 20th November 2019. The event was graced by the presence of Chief Guests, Dr N. Ponpandian Professor and Head, Department of Nanoscience and Technology and Director – IQAC, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore and Dr. B. Vidhya, Assistant Professor, Department of Physics/ Nanosciences, Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences, Karunya Nagar, Coimbatore.
NOTABLE DEPT ACHIEVEMENTS
- Programme offered by the department are Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and English.
- S&H Department having 7 Ph.D. Holders and 7 Ph.D. pursuing faculty members.
- Tutor-ward system, Counseling is provided suitably to all students.
- 83 Research Publications in Journals and Conference Publications.
- Grant of Rs.2, 84000 received to conduct seminar and workshop from various external funding agencies such as CSIR, UGC and so on.
- Technical symposium “SHARP” is conducted every year with external participants.
- Department of Science & Humanities conducted a National Level Technical Symposium(SCIENCE EXPO & SHARP 2015).
on 5th and 6th November, 2015. The event was graced by the presence of Chief Guests, Dr. K.Venkateswaralu Principal Scientist, Material Science Division, National Aerospace Laboratories, Bangalore.
- Department of Science & Humanities conducted a National Level Technical Symposium(SCIENCE EXPO & SHARP 2016).
on 5th November, 2016. The event was graced by the presence of Chief Guests, Dr.MylsamyAnnadurai , Director, ISRO Satellite Centre, Bengaluru.
- Department of Science & Humanities conducted a National Level Technical Symposium(SCIENCE EXPO & SHARP 2017) on23rd November, 2017. The event was graced by the presence of Chief Guests, Mr. Lakshmi Narayanan,Former Vice Chairman and CEO, Cognizant Technology.
- Department of Science & Humanities conducted a National Level Technical Symposium(SCIENCE EXPO & SHARP 2018) on 23rd MArch, 2018. The event was graced by the presence of Chief Guests, Dr.GuruSelvaraj, DGM HR,Coimbatore.
- Department of Science & Humanities conducted a National Level Technical Symposium(SCIENCE EXPO & SHARP 2019) on 15th Feb, 2019. The event was graced by the presence of Chief Guests, T.S.Thilak,AGM-HR, L&T, Coimbatore.