Central Library - Overview
Vivekanandha Library is a treasure house that supports the teaching and learning activities of all the Students, Research Scholars, Faculty Members and all other staff members. It is a valuable partner in the user’s pursuit of excellence in learning and research. It is a Learning Resource Centre and supports the teaching and learning activities of all the Students, Research Scholars, Faculty Members and all other staff members.
The books are encoded, cataloged and computerized according to the new technology system in order to meet the rapid growth of visitors and researchers. It collects, organizes, preserves and provides access to and services for a rich and unique record of human thought and creativity. The Library is housed in a separate fully automated and furnished block with an excellent stock of books, journals and magazines (National and International). Our value lies in the valuable information resources, services and facilities that we provide to all users. With state-of-art equipment, we have the facility for the Satellite Communication link with world libraries.
- To promote the reading habits
- To be an integral part of Academics
- To provide access to millions of research and learning resources
- To cater to the need for academic excellence and growth
- To provide every reader his / her book & Information.
- To provide information/enquiry service, current awareness service and document delivery
To be a learning hub of excellent resources and innovative services with a global reputation for the learning community providing both physical and virtual components of deep expertise, innovative services and outstanding collections strengthened by strategic partnerships.
- Create a collaborative learning environment that will adapt to the changing needs of the stakeholders.
- To encourage creativity, intellectual curiosity, and to facilitate lifelong learning and research within our students.
- To continue to improve the library’s effectiveness through systematic, ongoing outcome assessment.
Chief Librarian’s Message
Welcome to the SNS College of Technology, Vivekananda Library. The aim of our Library is to provide the most effective lending, references, proactive, current awareness and information provision services according to present and future users’ needs. Also, our Library provides to maintain and develop access to SNSCT collections as a national research resource for the students, staffs and research community.
The library supports the academic programmes of our college through collections and services, which enable students and faculty to access, update their knowledge and information resources. This support empowers our constituencies to develop the information and technological competencies necessary to achieve their educational, research and professional goals.
This enables them to succeed in the workforce and apply lifelong learning skills. In the coming years, the library will be delivering much more user-focused and technologically sophisticated services, designed to meet the contemporary information needs of students, staffs.
Services & Time Schedule
New Paper Clippings
Maintaining Question Bank
Rules & Regulations
Strict silence should be observed in the library
A borrower taking the book on loan have to check the book and inform the librarian if there is any damage. A fine of Rs.30/- will be collected for any damage to the book when returned back
More than two consecutive renewals will not be allowed.
Library books must be returned when students go home on a long vacation
Marking, underlining or annotating in the books are not permitted.
Magazines and journals are ordinarily not let out. After perusal, they must be kept in their respective places.
If a library book is damaged or missed, the person who is responsible for that has to replace the book with the fine. If the replacement is not possible triple the cost of the book will be collected from the concerned person.
Student can take reference books only on submission of their identification cards to the librarian.
Students should register their arrival and departure at our library E-Gate Register.
E - Resources
Online databases provide access to a wealth of information to keep a user abreast of the current wave front of knowledge as well as for retrospective literature search. It allows subscription to a good number of current journals, both Indian and International. Indian ones are mostly in print version with some in combo version (print + online version combined). International ones are mostly in online version accessible through below mentioned UGC mandated online bibliographical databases:
1. IEEE (ASPP) – https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/home.jsp
- IEEE All-Society Periodicals Package (ASPP), is a scholarly research database that indexes, abstracts, and provides full-text for articles and papers on computer science, electrical engineering and electronics.
- IEEE (ASPP) is accessed via the IEEE Xploredigital library,which is available online or in print and provides access to the IEEE core collection of engineering, electronics, and computer science periodicals.
- The database mainly covers material from the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and the Institution of Engineering and Technology. IEEE ASPP Online combines high-quality technical literature with the power of online searching.
- IEEE ASPP Online is available as an institutional anniversary subscription in a single-site user license.
- National Digital Library of India (NDLI) is a National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT) Project developed by the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (IIT KGP), under the aegis of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Govt. of India.
- It is a single window platform providing learning resources that make e-Learning and education accessible to all, bringing to users of all demographics, digital repositories from India and the world.
- It develops a framework of virtual repository of learning resources with a single-window search facility. Filtered and federated searching is employed to facilitate focused searching so that learners can find out the right resource with least effort and in minimum time.
- NDL India is designed to hold content of any language and provides interface support for leading vernacular languages.
- It is being arranged to provide support for all academic levels including researchers and life-long learners, all disciplines, all popular form of access devices and differently-abled learners.
- It is being developed to help students to prepare for entrance and competitive examination, to enable people to learn and prepare from best practices from all over the world and to facilitate researchers to perform inter-linked exploration from multiple sources.
- User phone state is required to uniquely generate an id (required) by encrypting their Phone state specific information and this id initiates the handshaking mechanism with the NDL API for connection establishment. This mechanism is there to ensure and enable security. All permissions requested are to be allowed to enable the mandatory security features.
3. DELNET (Developing Library Network) – http://www.delnet.in/
- DELNET is a very important library network which provides online access, inter alia, to a select list of online full text foreign journals, full text US patent literature, union catalog of books, journals, theses, dissertations, etc. Its Document Delivery Service (DDS), which provides xerox copies of required journal articles, chapter of books etc, is extremely useful.
- It provides an array of facilities including E-mail to its member-libraries including both institutional and associate institutional members. DELNET’s relentless efforts in resource sharing have proved extremely effective. It has indeed been a big leap towards the modernization of libraries in India.
4.NPTEL (National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning) – https://nptel.ac.in/
- NPTEL is joint initiative funded by Ministry of Human Resource and Development, Government of India and coordinated by IIT Madras and other IIT’s. The project’s central idea is to put recorded lectures taught by its member institutes online for open access. It is one of the most extensive educational YouTube channel covering engineering, basic sciences, and some humanities and social science subjects.
- The main objective of NPTEL is to make learning material available to students of engineering institutions through easier means.
- The broad aim of the scheme is to facilitate the competitiveness of Indian industry in the global markets through improving the quality and reach of engineering.
NDLI (National Digital Library of India) CLUB
- NDLI was set up by the Union human resource development ministry (MHRD) under its National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT) and is run and managed by IIT Kharagpur.
- NDLI is the largest online library in the country especially for academic purposes.
- NDLI has opened up its 35 million-strong digital content, making available e-books, past questions papers and solutions, lecture materials and thesis, among others, to help students study at home
OBJECTIVE OF NDLI CLUB
- To turn NDLI into a National Knowledge Asset, our library serves to function as a key driving force for education, research, innovation, and knowledge.
- To take the knowledge resources of NDLI to every learner of the country and promote the culture of reading
- To create a 24 x 7-enabled integrated ubiquitous digital knowledge source catering to immersive e-Learning for all learners, at all levels, in all areas.
- A single window search facility to ever-growing digital content repository
- Different ways to browse content repository: Browse by content type, Browse by source, Browse by subject and Browse by learning resource type
- Filtering result of search and browse with facet based refinement options
- Contents relevant for different levels of users
- Contents available for different subject domains: Technology, Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences, Natural Science etc.
App and content may be accessed in three different languages: English, Hindi and Bengali
|1||Dr. S. Chenthur Pandian||Principal||Ex- officio Chairman|
|2||Dr. M. Palanisamy||Chief Librarian||Ex- officio Secretary|
|3||Ms.X. Bernadette Evangeline||Assistant Professor/AERO||Faculty|
|6||Iyappan G||Assistant Professor/CIVIL||Faculty|
|8||Ramya E||Assistant Professor/ECE||Faculty|
|9||R.Satheesh Kumar||Assistant Professor/EEE||Faculty|
|10||E.Christina Dally||Assistant Professor/EEE||Faculty|
|11||G. Shangkavi||Assistant Professor/EIE||Faculty|
As the College Central Library has to cater to the needs of variety of clientele such as faculty, research scholars, post graduate and under graduate students, institute administrators and non teaching institute staff, a wide range of subject fields are to be represented in our central library with prime thrust for meeting the needs of students and faculty members. Besides this, for smooth functioning of the library and safe guarding the interest of all sections of the library users, formation of policies, rules & regulations and implementing the library policies in a judicious manner, a Library Advisory Committee (LAC) is formulated with the following constitution and representatives.
The duties and functions of the Committee are:
- To consider policy matters regarding Central Library/Departmental libraries including the policy for procurement of books and journals and render advice to the Purchase Committee for Library procurement’s.
- To look into day to day problems of the Library clientele, Library staff and make recommendations for the desired decision.
- To supervise the allocation and utilization of funds for different departments for purchase of books and journals for the Central and Departmental libraries.
- To maintain liaison between Central Library and various Academic Departments for the purchase of networking of Departmental libraries with the Central Library.
- To consider and put forward the views of students ,faculty members and Research Scholars regarding books/journals selection, ordering process which facilitates their problems and solutions sought thereof.
|1||Dr. S. Chenthur Pandian||PRINCIPAL||President|
|2||Dr. M. Palanisamy||CHIEF LIBRARIAN||Secretary|
|4||Dr.S.Babu Devasenapathi||DIRECTOR CFC& CLT||Member|
|5||Dr.M.Subramanian||HOD – AERO||Member|
|7||Dr.N.J.RMuniraj||DEAN – BME||Member|
|8||Dr. K. Thirumalai Raja||HOD – CIVIL||Member|
|10||Dr.T.Kalaikumaran||HOD – CSE||Member|
|11||Dr.C.Ramakrishnan||HOD – EEE||Member|
|12||Dr.K.Kalaiselvi||DEAN – ECE||Member|
|13||Dr.L.M.Nithya||HOD – IT||Member|
|14||Dr.P.Tamilselvam||DEAN – MECH||Member|
|15||Dr.P.Vivekanandan||HOD – MCT||Member|
|16||Dr.P.Krishnaveni||HOD – MBA||Member|
|17||Dr.S.Sundararajan||HOD – MCA||Member|
|18||Dr.A.Viswanathan||DEAN – S& H||Member|
|19||Dr.P.Nareskumar||HOD – PHYSICS||Member|
|20||Ms.R.Vanitha||HOD – ENGLISH||Member|
Book Bank Scheme
SNSCT Central Library has Book Bank facility as one of the section of the library for all our students. Students’ welfare is the main objective to administer this facility. The main aim of this immense service is to help the needy students to fulfill their expectations. This scheme also avoids the need for the students to buy books from market at higher rates and with difficulties. Books from the Book Bank are issued for the whole semester and during every semester in addition to regular books students can borrow books from book bank for retention for the whole semester. This scheme aids in fulfilling student’s requirement for the prescribed books on semester basis.
Library Additional Services
- Availability of special collection of books, journals, required for the competitive examinations . (GATE, GRE, CAT, MAT, XAT, GMAT, SAT, TOEFL, ) to help the prospective aspirants hone their skills to face these examinations confidently.
- Accessibility to the book-collection of the Library by author, title, subject, etc through OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) on several computer terminals spread over the college buildings.
- Holdings of the library books are computerized and
- Uninterrupted internet
- Document Delivery Service: Arranging photocopies of articles from old learned periodicals to faculty members for R&D purposes.
- Provision of Reprographic