The Department of Civil Engineering was established in the year 2009. The department has eighteen highly qualified and dedicated faculty members headed by the Dean with vast experience. There are three faculty members with a doctoral degree and two of them are recognized supervisors under Anna University, Chennai. The Department has also been recognized as a Research Centre by Anna University, Chennai. The faculty members are actively involved in research and consultancy activities. The consultancy focuses on Building Materials Testing, Soil investigations, Concrete Mix Design, Structural Design and Verification.
The Department is provided with good Infrastructural facilities and well-equipped Laboratories. The Laboratories include Concrete and Highway, Strength of materials, Hydraulics and Fluid Machinery, Soil Mechanics, Environmental Engineering, Survey and Computer. The department has 70 computers with 20Mbps internet connectivity. The Department offers B.E. Civil Engineering degree programme and M.E. Structural Engineering programme. The Under Graduate programme (B.E.) in Civil Engineering was started in the year 2009-10 with a sanctioned of 72. Based on its expertise, the department was permitted to offer Post Graduate programme (M.E.) in Structural Engineering from 2013-14 onwards with a sanctioned intake of 18 students. Considering the ever-growing demand of Civil Engineers and growing emphasis on planning, a new and unique Under Graduate programme, B.E – Civil Engineering and Planning was introduced from the year 2016-17 onwards.
To achieve the vision of producing Internationally Acclaimed Civil Engineers the department adopts best teaching practices. Through the implementation of these effective teaching-learning methodologies, the Department has produced 10 University ranks in the B.E Civil Engineering Programme under Anna University. In order to bridge the gap between industry and academics, students are made to attend guest lectures and workshops by industry experts and a platform is arranged to interact with alumni members. Students are also motivated to participate in co-curricular, extra-curricular activities and also trained to compete for the competitive exams. The students have brought laurels to the department by winning prizes in Paper Presentations and other events in Symposiums. The placement track of the passing out students is very healthy. One of our students holds dual records in Guinness World Records, Limca Book of Records and India Book of Records. He also holds one Record in Asia Book of Records.
Vision & Mission
The vision of the department of Civil Engineering is to produce value based Civil Engineering Graduates who will excel in the areas of planning, Analysis, Design, Construction and rehabilitation of structures to meet the requirements of the society.
- To offer high quality value based accredited programs that will inspire and educate the future leaders to convert challenges into opportunities.
- To excel in R&D and consultancy services for the benefit of society.
- To become a preferred place of higher learning and research
For 23 years, SNS has set the standard of excellence as a renowned institution in the field of education. 2020 admissions are open now! Grab your chance and start your journey with us.
You are just one click away from us!Enquiry Now
The Department of Civil Engineering was estabilished in the year 2009 and presently it offers under graduate program in Civil Engineering and post graduate program in Structural Engineering.The infrasturcure facilities includes various well equiped and maintained laboratories, a well-equipped seminar hall, Wi-Fi enabled SMART classrooms to support e-Learning, and a departmental library etc.,
STRENGTH OF MATERIALS LABORATORY
All the classrooms are spacious, well ventilated and equipped with WIFI facility, Newspaper stand and Glass Board. Besides all classroom are fitted with colour blinds to reduce the glare during ICT usage. Overhead Projector with UPS connection for uninterrupted power supply. One – third of classes are equipped with Smartboard for the enhanced learning experience. All the classroom also provided with Notice board which dispalys latest programs and other information related to particular class
THERMAL HEAT POWER LABORATORY
Thermal Laboratory provides lot of opportunity to the students to study different types of IC engine, boiler performance study and to do their innovative projects. The performance test, and heat balance test, can be carried in variety of IC engines like petrol/diesel fuelled with single and multi-cylinder engines with mechanical, electrical, hydraulic loading devices. The Variable Compression Ratio (VCR) Engine Test Setup (Kirolskar made) is used for conducting test. It uses Eddy Current Dynamometer for loading the engine. Engine tests were conducted using various blends of biodiesel with variable compression ratio. The modern digital gas analyzer and AVL smoke meter is available to do emission and smoke test.
CAM Laboratory equipped with one cnc trainer lathe (two axis machine) and cnc milling machine with NX CAM Software.
students trained with both the machine and providing industrial exposure in production area.Throgh this laboratory,Students can get know the right way to handle all kinds of cnc machine.Faculty and students are also doing many research projects and published the paper through this laboratory. Received the fund of Rs 15 Lakhs to Modernize the CAM Laboratory through Flexible manufacturing System under AICTE MODROBS Scheme
All kinds of Tools, equipments and safety equipments for Plumbing, Welding, carpentry and sheet metal fabrication are avaliable in this lab. TIG and MIG welding equipments for highend appplications are also available. This labs mainly helps to develop prototypes, Karts for National Level competition and other working model demos can be created in this lab by students.
FLUID POWER LABORATORY
Fluid Power control lab is the part of a modular program of mechanical engineering. This lab covers all hydraulics and pneumatics applications that answer the needs of students at any educational level or specialization. The lab enables students to understand the fundamentals of properties of fluids.Fluid Power control laboratory including HYDROSIM & PNEUMOSIM Software , LabVIEW software and basic pneumatic kit.
SOIL MECHANICS LABORATORY
This lab helps to give exposure about all kinds of machining process from all kinds of Lathe operations to drilling, gear Hobbing, gear Cutting, VMC , Sloting and grinding. The lab is also equipped with Surface Roughness tester to check the machined surface finish.
METROLOGY AND MEASUREMENTS LABORATORY
This Lab helps the students to understand and learn about different measurements techniques using gauges , Plugs and calipers. The key highlights includes Autocollimator, Profile Projectors are equiped to give practical exposures. In addition to this, all calipers are available in digital format to give exposure for students
ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING LABORATORY
Computational Fluid Dynamics laboratory is enriched with anysys updated version to pursue the PG students project work in quality way.The laboratory provides 18 intel processor with updated version to meet the Ansys and fluent related project for Ph.D.research scholar too.
2.PG Thermal engineering lab.
The Advanced research IC engine “VCR” with the data acquisition system provides, multi fuel and compression ratio variation , online data analysis for both PG and Ph.D. Research scholars.Further using this Research engine, many of the students and scholars from other institutions completed their research work under consultancy.More over, the laboratory has the equipment’s like solar measurement devices with solar panels, and compressors and various IC engines to enhance the students research.
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEO)
- PEO 1: Graduates will acquire through knowledge in mathematics, fundamental sciences and Civil Engineering to solve the field problems
- PEO 2: Graduates will use advanced analysis tools, computing skills and design philosophies to create modern infrastructures.
- PEO 3: Graduates will adopt standard code of practices, building bye-laws and inculcate managerial skills to function ethically in their
PEO 4: Graduates will engage in life-long learning and Civil Engineering practices5
- PEO 5: Graduates will use their communication and team building skills to succeed in their career.
PROGRAMME OUTCOMES (PO)
|PO-a||Apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering to solve complex Civil Engineering problems.|
|PO-b||Identify, formulate, analyse and solve Civil Engineering problems, in accordance with Indian standard codes of practices.|
|PO-c||Perceive design solutions for complex Civil Engineering problems with appropriate societal and environmental considerations.|
|PO-d||Design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.|
|PO-e||Use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for Civil Engineering construction practice.|
|PO-f||Use the contextual Knowledge to assess social issues relevant to Civil Engineering practices.|
|PO-g||Work on the basis of broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.|
|PO-h||Understand and follow the professional ethics, responsibilities and code of conduct in Civil engineering practices.|
|PO-i||Function as an individual and as a team member in Civil infrastructure projects encompassing multidisciplinary teams.|
|PO-j||Communicate the Civil Engineering techniques and documents with the Engineering community and society.|
|PO-k||Inculcate Engineering and Management principles and work in multidisciplinary environments as an individual or as a team.|
|PO-l||Imbibe the habit of engaging in continuous and lifelong learning process.|
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSO’s)
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOME 1
- Utilize principles, methods, softwares and codes of practices to excel in the areas of planning, analysis and designs related to Civil Engineering systems.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOME 2
- Prepare detailed drawings, cost estimates, reports, walk through views, interact with clients, manage workers, work in a team and executes construction works.
Supporting PM Initiatives Mapped with AICTE
Redesigning Common Mind And Business Towards Excellence
PARTNERSHIP / MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL BODIES
Department Civil Engineering got Membership with SAE Collegate Club, ISTE & IE (I) for benefits of Faculties and Students.
- The prime aim of education of Department of Civil Engineering is that students are not limited to class rooms, but it is extended to making them employable engineers by providing those resources that would empower them to emerge as successful engineer.
- To achieve this eminent scholars from education and industry are invited to conduct seminars and workshop which are spread over the academic calendar. This page is your destination for all news and events happening in department of Civil Engineering. This page will be regularly updated, according to the program schedule
NOTABLE DEPT ACHIEVEMENTS
- R.Richordson from III Year Civil Engineering Department won First Prize in Open State Deadlift championship 2019 organized by Indian Fitness Fedeartion, Coimbatore on 9 th June 2016
- R.Richordson from III Year Civil Engineering Department won First Prize in Zone Power lifting Championship -National Record organized by Indian Powerlifting Federation ,Chennai from 18 th to 20 October 2019 to 20th October 2019
- R.Richordson from III Year Civil Engineering Department won National Power lifting Championship -National Record organized by Indian Powerlifting Federation, Washim from 14th Novermber 2019 to 17th Novermber 2019
- Laurense Devaraj from IV Year Civil Engineering Department has been awarded Design Thinning Best Project- Money Maker Awardby SNS College of Technology on 29th June 2019
- Abirami from III Year Civil Engineering Department has been awarded Design Thinning Best Project- Money Maker Awardby SNS College of Technology on 29th June 2019
- M.A.Balaji (2015-2019 Batch student ) Secured Best Student Award from Indian Society of Technical Education
- Gopinath,N.Naveen Kumar,A.Natchiyappan,Santhosh Sivan from Civil Engineering and Planning Department presented a project in “Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam Project & Design Innovation at Anna University Regional Campus, Coimbatore.
- T.Rahul Raja from III Year Civil Engineering and Planning Department was attended and selected in National level Handball Tournament and Won First Prize organised by Youth Rural Game & Sports Federation of India at Nagapttinam from 28.09.2018 to 30.09.2018
- Karthik Sah .S.Sathasivam from II Year Civil Engineering and Planning Department has participated Technical Symposium “KALINGA ’18” organised by SNSCE and won second prize in Quiz.
- Dharanni Tharran,C.S.Gokul ,J.Mohammed Marshuk,B.SharanK.Senthilnathan from III Year Civil Engineering and Planning Department Participated in National Science & Technology Fair organised by Coddissia from 29.8.2019 to 31.8.2019
- Chidhambaram,N.Naveen, R.Sangeeth,A.Natvhiyappan,J.Kathiravan,from IV Year Civil Engineering and Planning Department Participated in National Science & Technology Fair organised by Coddissia from 29.8.2019 to 31.8.2019
- B. SAKTHI (Batch :2013-2017) Department of Civil Engineering, performed the Limca Book of Records (National Record) at 10.00am on 10th June 2015.
- B. SAKTHI (Batch :2013-2017) Department of Civil Engineering, performed the “GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS” on 18th October 2015.
- B. SAKTHI (Batch :2013-2017) Department of Civil Engineering, performed the “ASIAN BOOK OF RECORDS” on 18th October 2015.
- B. SAKTHI (Batch :2013-2017) Department of Civil Engineering, performed the “India BOOK OF RECORDS” on 10th June 2015.
- Hariharan (Batch :2012-2016) Department of Civil Engineering, performed the “Limca Book of Record on walking image of Mahatma Gandhi using one lakh 1 rupee coins at SNS college of Technology, on 13th July 2015
- M.Lakshmi Narayanan, Mr.G.Gowtham and Mr.P.Lawrence (Batch :2012-2016) received Cash Award for Cash Award for Model making/ KPR
- S.Subash (Batch :2010-2014) received Award for Cube casting Coimbatore Builders & contractors Association (CEBCA)
|1||University Rank Holders|
|2||Number of Students Placed||34|